Parting Glances: Pasir Panjang Power Station Quarters

Parting Glances: Pasir Panjang Power Station Quarters

What we see today of the quarters is one built to supplement accommodation originally erected in 1952 to 1953. The then new power station, built to supply the colony’s electricity needs for the two decades that were to follow, was to be further expanded from a an initial capacity of 25 MW at the end of 1952 to 175 MW in 1962 to meet surging demand. It did not stop there and a second station, B Station, was built adjacent to the first (A Station) in the mid-1960s, adding a total of 240 MW to the station’s capacity. All this required workers to be recruited from India and Malaya, all of whom needed to be accommodated. The erection of new and taller blocks in the 1960s, also allowed the families of the workers to be accommodated more comfortably. These had larger two-room, one-hall units, compared to single bedroom units in the older blocks. The larger units were then allocat...

Full article: https://thelongnwindingroad.wordpress.com/2017/05/29/part...

Tweets

Diduga Rem Blong, Truk Pasir Lindas Pedagang Du...

news.liputan6.com 30 May '17, 6am

Fokus, Lampung - Diduga rem blong, truk bermuatan pasir, Senin 29 Mei 2017, menabrak sebuah mobil bak terbuka yang digunak...